Monday, January 15, 2007

California blog series, part VI: Travel philosophy

As per my promise, here is the sixth and final part in this mammoth series on my August trip to California, just in time for me to leave the province again - this time for a week in Vancouver with The Cord. To this point, I've spoken quite literally about noteworthy portions of the trip and the less concrete thoughts that inspired them. This one, however, is quite simply about my thoughts on travelling, impacted no doubt by my most formative experience of it. Most of all, though, I'm interested to hear other people's thoughts on their own travel philosophies and any neat stories that relate. Perhaps it will illuminate whether my experiences are more indicative of general mindsets or simply my own personality. Please don't censor yourself to brief comments out of a polite desire not to rival the actual post's length. I want a forum for discussion, remember. Not that brief comments will be scorned, of course ...

The first thing I wrote in the impromptu travel journal occurred while sitting in a neat little restaurant in the airport after I got into San Francisco - where I waited for hours because I'm apparently incapable of reading departure and arrival times right and I accidentally booked myself on a flight that arrived in San Fran six hours before Erin's (though it ended up being less, thanks to a 2-hour on-plane delay in Charlotte, followed by a vomit-filled flight courtesy of the little girl next to me).

There's something peculiar about being out of one's surroundings. I'm immediately way more perceptive to my surroundings (granted, I don't normally set the bar very high, but ... ) and everything is fascinating - the group of 20-somethings so anxious to drink that they're doing shots at an airport bar, that girl from Pearson bound to Dominican on a humanitarian project with whom I discussed ex's (at her prodding), the family beside me that I want to say is of Laos descent, but I'm far too ignorant to actually know - the father saw my burger and went to get his wife to order one. I nodded and smiled as he returned and he sheepishly asked if it was good. I assented and informed him that it was a California burger. He then scurried back over to ensure she got the right one - "I don't know. Just say California burger." - the whole family's adorable.

The details themselves are not especially important - it's the fact that I notice them at all. Though I'm not sure I am necessarily even accurate in using the term "most" in the first sentence of this next excerpt, I think I make my point appropriately otherwise.

Why do most people display a distinct aversion to travelling alone? My night sans Erin was one of my trip highlights. [Note: see part I for more detail] My time in Halifax last year was tremendous. It is in this situation of comparative solitude that one can most easily take in their surroundings. You don’t become immersed in your own life and you can actually understand a foreign locale’s overall feel much faster. I mean, don’t get me wrong. I love Erin and I’m glad we had this time together. I love people, particularly my friends, more than anyone I know. But I also love learning about the world and myself, and solitude seems to be an absolutely necessary condition for me to achieve this.

So I guess the obvious next question is, does anyone else find solitude instructive in these respects, specifically with regards to travelling? If so, why do people shy away from it? Is it just a comfort thing - the need of having a safety net? Should that be a good enough reason or should we force ourselves into discomfort with the professed aim of a truer understanding of the culture we throw ourselves into?

On a related yet different note, how do people generally approach vacations? Do you research about the place ahead of time or just go with whatever seems right when you get there?

I’m very interested in people’s philosophies of travel and how they conform to my own – and precisely what my own is. I think I like to strike a fine balance of checking out the typical tourist sites and pre-planned/researched spots and simply taking in the culture off the beaten path.

Thanks for reading. Hope you've enjoyed the series.

7 Comments:

At 11:53 a.m., Blogger CR said...

I went to San Francisco all by myself. People thought it was weird. I visited my friend Carsten a couple of times, and had dinner with a big group of family friends one night. The rest of the time I spent wandering around by myself, going wherever I wanted, whenever I wanted. If I like something a lot (like Yerba Buena gardens) I went back a second time. I met random people at shows and spent the night hanging out with them. I found lots of random, non-touristy places, like little parks with ponds. I had a fabulous time and I didn't want to leave when the week was up. Traveling by yourself is for awesome people.

 
At 1:11 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the only way to really appreciate a foreign situation is by yourself, or at least without someone from your usual environment. If you're with friends or family you can always retreat into the familiarity of 'back home'. Obviously this has some benefits - saftey in numbers, someone to talk to if you can't speak the native toungue - but it limits how far you can stretch your comfort zone and really immerse yourself in a different place. There's some saying about how once you expand your comfort zone it can never shrink back to what it once was. That's probably a crock, but I cetainly agree that being out of your element is instructive, even more so when you're alone.

I've been lucky enough to have experienced the world with the people closest to me; my memories of past trips are inextricably bound to those I was with. But what I remember most about the actual places I've been are those intimate times when you're able to ruminate about how you fit into your new world.

- BC

PS - I take back my comment about this series going the way of 'Politicians and Musicians.' Very diligently updated, my friend.

 
At 8:16 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Mikey,

You should know that I've read carefully all your blogging on this trip, though it's been delayed (on my part, in reading it) and have enjoyed it all. I'm sure you know my love of travel, but I also love other peoples travels, b/c I choose to live vicariously through them. Traveling is by far one of my favorite topics of discussion and I hope one day we can sit and chat about it in great lengths, and moreso that we can go out and do it at great lengths.
As for your wondering about people traveling alone, I feel this way about most things... I rather be by myself because I am so easily influenced by others opinions/distractions that doing most anything on my own really allows me to take in the most and learn the most. However, I fear I have become far too attached to ppl and now insist on sharing EVERYTHING with them, which is a terrible problem (which drags much off topic and will not be discussed so much here). But, I agree. When I went to Ottawa a few years back and stay with my mom, I traveled teh city while she worked and it was/still is some of my favorite times.

In fear of in fact making this comment as long as you entry, I stop. See/Speak to you soon :)

- Trish

 
At 10:58 a.m., Blogger Blair said...

I agree with BC and Carly. Having traveled twice to New York City, once by myself and once with a friend, I feel as though I definitely got a better sense of the city by myself. Free to roam with no particular destination, free to stop where you like without having to check if its alright with others. As Brandon said, it really forces you out of your comfort zone and makes the experience that much more worthwhile. I'm nervous and excited to be doing Europe on my own.... a little bit further away than NYC.

 
At 4:23 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've done most of my travel alone and there's thinks to love and hate about both. To me travelling alone is a quicker way to get immersed in a culture because you're the only one you have to agree with. It's also way better when you're away for longer periods of time in my mind, because then you need to establish yourself in a new group of people. This brings all the joys of personal reinvention - particularly interesting in a second language where you can;t be as sure that people are getting a clear picture of who you are. Sometimes I tell people I work as an oil prospector or logger or sexpat to see how people react. Generally not with friends though.

I also tend to be more reflective alone since there are inevitable long waits (like yours at the airport) where you have nothing else to do except think about whats going on around you.

In groups, though, the whole shared memories things come in and it can be great. My trip to Costa Rica was like that and it was great since those are memories that are shared with a core group of people that you expect will be will for quite a while. Being North American usually limits your ability to meet up with the bulk of new friends you meet during travel - which bites ass. With a core group, you know that its a shared experience. Costa Rica was a short trip, so all the annoyances of group travel didn;t have time to boil over.

Short-term - great in groups, decent alone
Long-term - solo's the way to go, perhaps one other absurdly compatible person.

Boyce

 
At 11:46 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think your insights are dead on...traveling by yourself forces you to take note of what is around you. More importantly it forces you to take action be it finding the bus, the bar, the historic location, the corner coffee shop. No one else is responsible for those decisions...

Having said that, the same can be done when your traveling with veteran travelers who want to take in their surroundings and then it allows you a comfortable group to bounce your thoughts off of...much like you are doing now...only in a very different forum...

Some thoughts from someone who has travelled extensively,

Matt

 
At 6:37 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great work.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home